Match Report

Buy tickets now #wearethistle

Partick Thistle 0

Burnley 1

Thistle completed their round of pre-season matches with a visit from English Championship outfit Burnley managed by Owen Coyle who, as a player, broke Thistle hearts on more than one occasion.

Ian McCall made a number of changes to the side that had drawn 0-0 with Carlisle
United at the weekend. Craig Hinchcliffe, Ryan McStay, Willie Kinniburgh, Stephen McKeown and Kevin McKinlay all started this match and there were places also for two trialists in the starting eleven.

The two trialists made a promising start and nearly combined to create an opening for Thistle in the 4th minute with the right sided wide player very nearly finding the striker with a well placed cross.

A quick side step from the trialist forward brought him an opportunity at the edge of the box only for him to be hauled to the ground. John Robertson touching the free kick that followed into the path of Marc Twaddle who saw his shot blocked.

After 14 minutes Ryan McStay dragged a shot well wide of goal after some neat set up play in the Thistle midfield.

Thistle received a let off in the 18th minute. Craig Hinchcliffe elected not to come for a cross presenting Joey Gudjonsson with a clear chance from no more than 6 yards out but the Burnley player failed to make proper contact with the ball and the chance was lost.

Twenty five minutes in it took an excellent blocking challenge from Stephen McKeown to snuff out the danger after Alex MacDonald had posed a threat to the Thistle goal.

Burnley were enjoying their best spell in the game at this point and in the 28th minute Steve Jones wasn't too far off target with a crisp shot from 20 yards out.

Thistle had load shouts for a penalty after 32 minutes when Paul Paton looked to have been hauled to ground after he had cleverly worked himself into a promising position. Pre-season friendly or not the referee was still on the receiving end of the traditional advice from the Jackie Husband Stand patrons.

In the 37th minute the trialist number 7 again impressed with a run down the right with his cross finding the side netting to the player's clear frustration.

Tricky play from Alex MacDonald again posed a threat to the Thistle defence with the danger only cleared at the expense of an unproductive Burnley corner.

With half-time fast approaching Firhill finally had a pre-season goal when the visitors opened the scoring. Jay Rodriguez, who had been on loan with Stirling Albion last season, threaded the ball through to Joey Gudjonsson who did the rest with a nice controlled finish.

Burnley wasted an excellent chance to double their lead 8 minutes after half-time when Chris McCann sent a shot high over the bar after being set up at a corner kick.

On the hour mark Craig Hinchcliife had to produce an unorthodox save with his legs to prevent Chris McCann from extending his team's advantage.

A Simon Donnelly free kick nearly brought Thistle level in the 65th minutes with Penny in the Burnley goal getting a slight touch to the ball on its' way round the post.

The game was struggling a little to keep everyone's attention but Mark Roberts briefly livened things up with a spectactular effort that went just wide of goal.

Roberts had another effort blocked a short time afterwards after a Simon Donnelly free-kick had drifted to the back post.

With 11 minutes remaining Ade Akinbiyi nearly scored the game's second goal but Craig Hinchcliffe was able to deny him not once but twice.

With the game drifting towards a conclusion the trialist number 7 very nearly netted an equaliser for Thistle. His shot from 20 yards being deflected and the Burnley keeper needed two attempts to grab hold of the ball.

  • Kingsford Capital Logo
  • Get in gear for the season - buy online!
  • GRT Road Transport Consultants
  • Just Employment Law: employment law specialists
  • TheBookiesOffer.Co.Uk
  • PTFC Centenary Fund