Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Reaction

Falkirk v Partick Thistle – 16th March 2019

Partick Thistle travelled to the Falkirk Stadium this afternoon to take on Ray McKinnon’s Bairns in a big away match for the Maryhill Men. The game started ideally for the Jags with Scott McDonald bundling the ball home from five yards after just 10 minutes, however, despite controlling the first half, Thistle ended up going into the break level as Ian McShane struck just before the interval to restore parity.

Both teams pushed for a winner but no one could find an all-important second goal meaning it was honours even at full time in Falkirk. Jags boss, Gary Caldwell, spoke to after the final whistle:

“We totally dominated that game; especially in the first half. The game really should have been over by half time but we let them back into things and then in the second half, we’re the only team trying to win the game.

“I made some attacking changes but we still couldn’t find that cutting edge or that quality. At the end of the day, we gave out our all and had a go which is what we’ll continue to do.”

Having taken the lead through Scott McDonald, Caldwell was disappointed that his side didn’t hold onto their lead as they closed out the first half.

“There was a bit of naivety in our defending at times. We didn’t really show composure when we were clearing the ball and that meant they were coming straight back at us when we got the ball away.

“It was only a five or 10 minute spell just ahead of half time but you can’t afford to let a team come at you like that for any length of time and in the end it cost us the win. At that point we should have been well clear but then suddenly they were back level.”

Nevertheless, the gaffer is looking to take the positives from the day’s game as his Thistle team now begin preparations for a Friday night match against Inverness at the energy Check Stadium at Firhill.

“Considering the performance, it’s very disappointing not to get the win but we have to look at it as a point earned. We can only move on from the match now and look to show a similarly positive attitude against Caley next week but with a touch more ruthlessness at the end of our play.”

To finish, Gary gave us updates on the condition of Christie Elliott and Steven Anderson both of whom missed today’s game through injury.

“For Anderson, he had a concussion. He did some light training yesterday but the doctor said that you need six days to recover for that so he wasn’t able to play today but should be back for Inverness.

“As for Christie, he had an ankle knock and a groin problem which he just didn’t recover from in time. We gave him every chance of making it but he confirmed that he wouldn’t play this morning so that’s why he was out. We hope to have him back for Friday but we’ll have to see how much training he can do.”

A more in depth video interview with Gary Caldwell is available now to Jagzone subscribers and will be followed by reaction from Scott McDonald and Sean McGinty – log in now to see them.

Highlights will be added at midnight and will be free for Jagzone subscribers.

For a full list of all the great content you can access from just £5.99 per month as a Jagzone member, click here.

Article Copyright © 2019. Permission to use quotations from this article online is only granted subject to appropriate source credit and hyperlink to

< Back