Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Reaction

St Mirren v Partick Thistle – 8th January 2016

It was a satisfied Alan Archibald who spoke to afterThistle’s 2-1 victory over St Mirren in the William Hill Scottish Cup.

“I’m delighted with the win. We’re through to the next round of the Scottish Cup and that’s all that matters. This was a dangerous tie, away to a Championship side but the lads didwell to grind out the win.

“The first half was a bit flat. We didn’t have enough tempo to our play, switching it from side to side without any real urgency, which allowed St Mirren the chance to regroup and defend deep. There wasn’t really any chances in the first half for either side.”

Thistle’s two goals came from corner kicks and Archie was pleased Thistle were able to make set plays count.

“It’s great to get goals from corners. It’s something we worked on and while they weren’t the cleanest of goals, we did well to pounce on loose balls in the box and bundle them home. The second goal was a tremendous instinctive effort from Dools, and it has fallen perfectly for David Amoo to slot the ball home.”

Thistle’s win will hopefully signal a new run of good form and banishes the memories of last weekend’s agonising loss.

“It’s good to get straight back on form after a loss last weekend. We’re looking to use this as a springboard and go on another good run of league form, starting next weekend against Dundee.”

The Scottish Cup draw takes place on Monday evening and Alan isn’t doesn’t have a preference on who Thistle face.

“It’s all the luck of the draw in the cup so we’ll take who we get. Ideally I’d like a home tie to lower league opposition, but as we saw earlier in the season against Falkirk, it isn’t a guaranteed victory through to the next round.”

Finally Alan had a word of thanks for the large noisy Thistle support.

“It was a large Thistle support that made the journey through here tonight and they certainly made themselves heard. They helped the side on when we were lacking a little bit in the first half and kept with us when it got to the hour mark and it was still 0-0. I’m delighted to have sent them home happy, they got two goals to celebrate right in front of them and they can nowlook forward to the fifth round draw on Monday.”

< Back