Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Clyde v Partick Thistle U20 – 2nd August 2016

Thistle began their Irn Bru Cup journey with a short trip to Cumbernauld to face League Two side Clyde in the first round. Due to the rules of the competition only players born on the 1st of January 1997 or later would be eligible for selection by Scott MacKenzie. Clyde, on the other hand, were able to field as strong a team as they desired.

Followers of the Development League last season will have recognised the majority of faces in the starting line up with new summer signing David Syme being one of five starting players with first team experience. Kevin Nisbet and James Penrice, both of whom have impressed in their numerous first team appearances, were both selected from the start as MacKenzie looked to secure a second round place.

Thistle kicked the game off and started a ninety minutes of football which was almost entirely dominated by the Young Jags. Thistle did a lot of the early running but it wasn’t until the 13th minute for the first effort on goal. Kevin Nisbet teed up Mark Lamont who saw an effort from 20 yards smash off the inside of the post and away to safety with the goalkeeper stranded in the Clyde penalty box. Thistle bossed the first half but were unable to find a way through the Clyde defence and the sides reached the half time break at a 0-0 scoreline.

Thistle started the second half looking for the goal their play richly deserved and had to wait only six minutes for it. Kevin Nisbet picked up the ball inside the box, making room for himself before slotting home across the goalkeeper for the opening strike of the game.

Nisbet threated again ten minutes later with a driving run which saw an effort curl inches wide of the post before Thistle doubled their lead in fortuitous circumstances. McLaughlin teed up an effort from 25 yards, striking the back of Penrice at 18 yards out to loop over the stranded goalkeeper and into the back of his net.

Just a few minutes later and Thistle had all but secured their passage into the next round of the competition. Mark Lamont fizzed an effort across goal which McMillan in the Clyde goal could only parry away. Unfortunately for the goalkeeper, he pushed the ball straight into the path of the lurking Nisbet who fired home from 12 yards out.

With the Young Jags 3-0 up the Clyde support in the 351 crowd sensed there would be no way back and started heading for the Broadwood exits. Those who did leave missed Kevin Nisbet completing his hat-trick with 15 minutes to go. A cross from the right was perfect for the predatory striker and he was able to steer the ball into the back of the net for a richly deserved treble.

Thistle utilised their full complement of substitutes to give as many players experience of the competitive environment as possible and with 80 minutes on the clock added a fifth strike to the scoreline. McMillan produced a point blank save from Neil McLaughlin before the youngster made no mistake with his second effort from close range.

Thistle kept pushing forward for goals and Hall was unfortunate not to pounce onto a spilled ball from the goalkeeper.

All in all it was a successful night for the young Thistle side as they secured a merited place in the second round of the Irn Bru Cup.  By the time you read this afternoon’s programme the draw will have been made and Thistle’s opponents in the second round will be known. The tie is scheduled to be played on Tuesday 16th or Wednesday 17th August.

Thistle Team: Cullen, McInally, Penrice(Fleming 71), Syme, McMullin, C. Wilson, Lamont(Hall 77), Docherty, Nisbet(J. Stokes 78), McCarthy, McLaughlin.

< Back