Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Dundee Utd v Partick Thistle – 10th May 2016

Thistle travelled to Tannadice to face an already relegated Dundee United side almost 20 years to the day since the Jags suffered a horrible relegation through the playoffs at the ground. The club was shocked with the sudden passing of club kitman Ricky Roughan earlier in the day and the side were looking to get a victory in his memory.

Thistle had secured their safety on Saturday and that allowed Alan Archibald to rest players who had been playing through the pain barrier in recent games. Out of the side which triumphed on Saturday went Abdul Osman, Callum Booth and Gary Miller as they looked to begin recuperation ahead of being fully fit for the next campaign. Liam Lindsay was recalled to the centre of defensive, with Frederic Frans shunted to right back. James Penrice was drafted in for his competitive debut and he lined up in the left back position he has made his own in the Development League. David Wilson went in to the heart of midfield alongside Sean Welsh.

James Penrice was keen to impress and made an immediate impact on the travelling Thistle support when he fired a 25 yard effort just wide of Kawashima’s post.

With six minutes on the clock Thistle took the lead. Penrice was entrusted with corner kick duties and whipped over a cracking delivery which Frederic Frans powered home at the near post.

United and Thistle were keen to play an open attacking game of football with both sides passing the ball around well on the Tannadice surface. Simon Murray drilled a shot across the face of goal after 14 minutes, with Scully relieved to see the ball evade his far post by a number of feet.

Billy McKay was on a one man mission to drag United level but he was finding Ryan Scully in fine form, pushing away his effort from just outside the box

With just over 30 minutes on the clock Thistle doubled their lead. David Amoo flicked on Steven Lawless chipped ball with Sean Dillon looking like he was able to clear the danger. He blundered on the edge of the box to present Kris Doolan with an opportunity and the in-form striker made no mistake from close range after rounding Kawashima.

United came out strongly at the start of the second half when Smith sends a low shot into the sidenetting after showing neat skill to evade the attentions of Frederic Frans.

After an excellently observed 65th minute’s applause for Ricky Roughan, United did get themselves back into the game when a corner kick was deflected into the back of the net via an unfortunate deflection from Frederic Frans.

Thistle went up a notch as they looked to re-establish the two goal lead and Ryan Edwards created a chance for himself before forcing an excellent save from Kawashima.

United were continuing to put pressure on the Thistle goal but somehow the Thistle rear-guard remained intact when United players were queuing up to put the ball in the back of Ryan Scully’s net. With less than a quarter of an hour to go, however, Thistle netted at the other end to extend the lead.

David Amoo showed great determination to battle through a tough challenge before crossing the ball for Ryan Edwards who headed home from close range.

The game looked to be drifting to a tame conclusion when suddenly Dundee United managed to force their way back into the game.

Aidan Nesbitt threaded a tremendous through ball to Kevin Nisbet who had an excellent shot tipped around for a corner before Edward Ofere had too much time and space at the edge of the box to power a shot through Seaborne and Scully.

With the fourth official indicating a minimum of three minutes added United grabbed their third of the game. Ofere flicked on for Johnson who was able to brush off the challenge of Welsh to fire a low effort into the net from inside the box.

Thistle had to settle for just a point on a day where football was secondary after the news that a member of the Partick Thistle family passed away earlier in the day. Thistle will look to sign off their season with a win against Hamilton Accies on Saturday.

< Back