Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Fleetwood Town v Partick Thistle – 2nd August 2014

Thistle travelled down to Fleetwood on the back of an impressive 3-1 victory over Glentoran the previous weekend to face the newly promoted League One side. Manager Alan Archibald sent out a strong line up with Jordan McMillan at left back filling the void left by Aaron Taylor Sinclair. There were also starts for both new signings Abdul Osman and Ryan Stevenson.
Thistle started the brighter and, inside the first 60 seconds, some great build up play saw the ball come to Higginbotham whose shot from the edge of the box was well saved by Maxwell in the home goal. In the 2nd minute a Stephen O’Donnell effort was left by the keeper and clipped the bar on its way over – positive signs for Thistle.
Scott Fox produced the first of a number of good saves in the fifth minute when good play from Evans saw Sarcevic go through only to see Thistle’s number one produce a great save with his legs.
Matt, who looked dangerous all afternoon for Fleetwood, then headed just over from a corner which looked to have clipped Fox as it beat the bar by mere inches. The bright open game continued to flow from end to end and a terrific ball from Osman found O’Donnell wide whose pass in turn reached Stevenson who let fly with a left foot effort from 22 yards which was again well saved by Maxwell.
In the 15th minute Lawless put pressure on the home defence and, when Osman’s pass found Stevenson, the new signing fired another left foot shot just over. The home side then produced some neat play in midfield and Morris shot just wide of Fox’s right post. Ball then saw a header saved by Fox and then the same player shot over after Matt had caused problems for the Jags defence.
Morris then flashed a dangerous cross across the Jags six yard box before Ball again forced another great save from Fox when one on one with the Jags keeper.
An open first half, which was probably edged by the home side, ended 0-0 at half time.
Into the second half and Gary Fraser saw a shot blocked before the ball fell to Lawless whose effort flashed wide after 50 minutes.
Fox was then again on hand to foil an attack from the home side again with a good save from a Morris effort. A poor cross field ball from Higginbotham put Thistle under pressure and Morris forced yet another good save low to his right from Fox. The home side continued to threaten and when Matt found Sarcevic his cross was blazed over by Ball and Thistle sontinued to protect their clean sheet.
Higginbotham was replaced by Elliott in the 64th minute and good build up play down the left between Elliott and McMillan saw a pass inside to Fraser who shot went just wide of the home goal. Stevenson then nipped in behind the home defence and poked the ball past the onrushing keeper but it fell just wide from a tight angle as Thistle really began to find their feet in the second half.
Fraser then fired a shot over the bar after neat passing between Elliott and O’Donnell.
A series of substitutes for both sides saw the game die out in the latter stages but an entertaining game nonetheless was brought to an end with the final score 0-0.
It was a good workout for the Jags against a strong passing outfit in Fleetwood. The standouts from the match were Scott Fox who kept his team in it with a string of magnificent stops and Stephen O’Donnell who also played well as the Jags take the final steps towards the start of the season on the 13th August against Ross County.
A mention as well for the large travelling support who sang their hearts out for the full ninety minutes.
Next up for Thistle is a home friendly against a Sunderland XI on Wednesday night, a game which season ticket holders can watch absolutely free.

< Back