Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle U20 v Ross County U20 – 13th October 2015

After three defeats in a row the Thistle development squad produced a resolute performance to win 1-0 against Ross County.

Scott MacKenzie made two changes to his starting 11 from last Tuesday’s defeat away to Dundee. David Wilson and, the fit again, Gary Fraser replaced Jordan Leyden and Mark Lamont.

Thistle started brightly with Declan McDaid lively on the right side of the field twice stinging the hands of County keeper, Foden, with shots in the opening few minutes of the match.

Thistle settled into the game quicker than the visitors and continued to force the early play, an in-swinging corner from Penrice after 15 minutes was glanced goal-wards by Nisbet but his connection wasn’t true and the ball fell wide.

The deadlock was broken with Thistle’s next chance which came after 20 minutes. Neil McLaughlin was first to react to intercept some poor defensive play by County. His surge into the box was followed by a low shot that Foden was unable to hold. Capitalising on the keeper’s error, Dominic Docherty was on hand to stroke the ball into the empty net and open the scoring.

The goal prompted a reaction from Ross County who began to take control of the game. A series of dangerous corners were defended well by the Jags back line. The County pressure culminated in a goal line clearance from Scot Whiteside on the stroke of half time.

Thistle started the second half in a more positive manner with both Gary Fraser and David Wilson probing for chances. A low through ball from Fraser almost put Docherty in for a second goal but his shot slipped wide.

On 56 minutes Thistle almost gifted County an equaliser. Gary Fraser was short with a back pass to Marc Waters and the loose ball was picked up by County’s Morrison who rounded the Thistle keeper and shot towards goal from a narrow angle. With most in the stadium certain the equaliser had been scored Matthew McInally was able get back to stop the ball on the line and preserve the slender Jags lead.

County were now in the ascendancy and should have equalised with 12 minutes remaining. Morrison found himself free only eight yards from goal but he hooked his shot past the post.

Beeston was next to try his luck for County, his well struck shot from distance was pushed away by Waters.

County continued to throw men forward for the final few minutes but were unable to carve out any clear chances and it was a visibly delighted Thistle Development team that left the pitch when the final whistle sounded and confirmed the team in red and yellow would leave with all three points.

Thistle: Waters, McInally, Penrice, Whiteside, McMullin, (D) Wilson, McDaid, Docherty, Nisbet, Fraser (Trialist), McLaughlin

Subs: Bell, Lynn, Trialist (62), Higgins, Lynch, (C) Wilson, Stokes


< Back