Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle v Dumbarton – 5th December 2020

Partick Thistle returned to Firhill on the back of claiming all three points in a dogged performance against Montrose last weekend. Returning to the Maryhill grass, the Jags looked to add another three points to their tally and extend their undefeated record at Firhill.

Thistle’s intent to attack was evident right from the start of the game with a Joe Cardle free kick causing problems inside the Sons box within the opening five minutes. The visitors were able to scramble the ball away but from the second phase of play, a tantalising cross was just out of the reach of Docherty who would have found the net if he had got the slightest touch on the ball.

Thistle continued to push forward, with heavy play coming down the flanks. Ryan Williamson galloped down the right hand side, speeding away from Quitongo before drilling a low cross along the six yard line. With Thistle bodies in the box, disappointing it evaded a red and yellow shirt as Dumbarton cleared to the feet of Cardle 20 yards out. The Jags number seven sent a low shot narrowly wide of the post.

Ross Forbes, a former Jag of course, had a speculative effort from distance inside the opening 15 minutes, which failed to trouble Kieran Wright in the Thistle goal.

It wasn’t long until Thistle were back on the front foot with Brian Graham at the heart of the action. His crossfield pass saw Ryan Williamson released on the right hand side but his low crossed was cleared by the resolute Dumbarton defence. Graham rescued the loose ball by edging to Joe Cardle who crossed for the striker. Unfortunately the contact wasn’t clean, and with the rushing Stuart Bannigan behind the Jags number nine, the danger was cleared.

James Penrice was next to have an attempt as Thistle surged forward. Clever passing around the box saw Richard Foster picked out on the left hand side. A low cross was met by James Penrice who fired inches past the post with the goalkeeper beaten.

The big chance of the half arrived with five minutes remaining on the clock. Good play from Foster and Graham saw the Jags number 22 fire an effort on goal. The ball was deemed to strike the arm of Carswell and the referee gave a penalty. For the third home League One game in a row, Brian Graham stepped up to take but his powerful effort was beaten away by the goalkeeper with the striker unable to guide the rebound into the back of the unguarded net.

Thistle continued the second half in attacking fashion, pouring forward looking for the opening goal of the game. James Penrice fired an early free kick high over the bar before Darren Brownlie steered a Joe Cardle free kick wide of target.

Thistle were inches away from opening the scoring from a corner. Cardle was able to pick out Brian Graham who saw a header hit the inside of the back post and bounce away from the target. It was the closest Thistle had arrived to opening the scoring.

A stubborn visiting rearguard was bending and holding Thistle’s attacking forces at bay. Shea Gordon, on as a substitute, saw a powerful drive beaten away with a number of defensive blocks smothering attacks on a frequently annoying basis from a Jags perspective.

As the game entered the final stages, Thistle committed more men forward in seek of the previous three points but continued to be denied. They did have the ball in the back of the net when Graham steered home from a deflected cross, but the assistant referee flagged for offside. Richard Foster saw a goalbound fizzer blocked at the last minute, before Brian Graham was denied by a terrific save in stoppage time having met a Joe Cardle cross. There would be one last chance as Mouhamed Niang met a corner at the near post, bulleting a header towards goal only to find the wrong side of the net. Niang’s chance would be the last of the game as the referee’s shrill whistle blew to signal a goalless draw in Maryhill.

< Back