Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle v Dundee – 23rd April 2016

Thistle began their post-split fixtures with a third Firhill fixture of the season against Dundee. The Dens Park side had won the previous two fixtures against Thistle in Maryhill and Alan Archibald’s side were looking to get a first victory of the Premiership era against Dundee.

In a Thistle squad that only had six substitutes, Thistle made four changes from the side which lost in DIngwall a fortnight ago. Suspension ruled out Dan Seaborne and Callum Booth with Christie Elliott starting at right back, Mustapha Dumbuya started at left back while the returning Liam Lindsay partnered Gary Miller in central defence. Aidan Nesbitt replaced David Amoo while up front Kris Doolan was preferred to Mathias Pogba. Dundee were struggling for players too with their bench listing only 4 substitutes.

After a quiet opening spell, Thistle began to impose themselves on the game winning a succession of free kicks but Bain in the Dundee goal was able to claim the ball ahead of Thistle’s attackers. When Thistle were able to penetrate the Dundee defence, he was quick off his line to smother an Edwards effort from inside the penalty area.

It was Dundee that had the best chance of the opening 20 minutes when McGowan slotted a through ball to Harkins who, with just Scully to beat, fired wide of the post from around eight yards out.

Thistle were having plenty of possession, but were lacking the cutting edge required to test Bain in the Dundee goal with Lawless having an effort from the edge of the box rolling just wide of the Dundee goal.

With just over half an hour played Dundee took the lead. The play originated from a free kick just inside the Dundee half and culminated in Stewart having far too much time on the right hand side of Thistle’s box. His low cross was perfect for Hemmings who flicked the ball past Scully from inside the six yard box.

Dundee took a firm grip of the game since scoring and had a couple of efforts to double the lead, but struggled to test Scully in the Thistle goal.

Thistle came out in the second half with a renewed desire and Doolan came close in the 50th minute when his low shot was deflected inches wide of target. From the resulting corner, Thistle were unable to create a goalscoring opportunity

Greg Stewart had an effort on target when poor defending allowed Stewart an opportunity inside the box but Ryan Scully blocked his shot well with his body.

With just over 20 minutes to go, Thistle dragged themselves level. Patient play culminated in Osman having the ball wide in the Dundee half. His excellent cross was powered home by Kris Doolan to bag his 10th goal of the season.

Thistle had their tales up and some neat play from Thistle’s attackers almost presented Doolan with an attempt in the box but his effort was blocked. Lawless was next to sting the palms of Bain with an effort from distance which was deflected into the path of the goalkeeper.

It wasn’t all one way traffic with Dundee presented with opportunities in the Thistle boxes but he reacted well to deny Kane Hemmings. He was powerless, however, when Hemmings burst through with nine minutes remaining, firing a low effort beyond the goalkeeper from Greg Stewart’s pass.

Thistle pounded the Dundee goal in the closing stages but were unable to find a way past an inspired Bain. The best chance feel to Amoo from a Pogba knockdown but he was unable to find the target from 10 yards out.

In the end, Thistle had to settle for a third Firhill defeat of the season to Dundee, with a result that saw Dundee move three points clear in 7th place.

< Back