Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle v Greenock Morton – 14th November 2020

Partick Thistle played their final Betfred Cup group stage game as Greenock Morton visited Maryhill this afternoon with progression still on the table. The Jags needed to beat the travelling ‘Ton and get a favour from Queen’s Park against St. Mirren to stand a chance of topping the group with their opponents in the same position.

Morton started the game with a few half chances. Markus Fjortoft, Kyle Jacobs and Ross Maciver all had headed opportunities in the opening stages but they weren’t able to hit the target in any of those instances.

The hosts’ first opening of the game presented itself on 16 minutes as Rhys Breen received the ball just inside the Morton half and carried it forward to within 30 yards of goal. Under no pressure from the away side, he decided to take aim, however, his powerful effort flew just past the post.

Morton threatened with another header right on the stroke of half-time as a deep free kick into the Thistle area deflected the way of Ross MacIver. He managed to find the target with his attempt this time but Kieran Wright got down sharply to parry it before Kyle Jacobs slashed a left-footed shot out for a goalkick.

Shea Gordon went close early in the second half as Connor Murray picked up the ball on the left flank and curled a delivery into the goalmouth area. Gordon rose highest and looked to flick it towards goal but his contact took it well clear of the crossbar.

David Hopkin’s side then had the ball in the net twice but both strikes were chalked off. First, a Fjortoft knockdown was turned home by MacIver but the striker was adjudged to have been offside. 13 minutes later, the on-loan Motherwell forward was left disappointed again when after tapping home from a long throw the referee blew for a foul in the build-up.

MacIver had a very good chance in the 76th minute to notch a goal that the official wouldn’t have ruled out. The attacker lifted a ball into the box which Lewis Strapp chased and kept alive. The left-back poked it towards MacIver who had found a few yards of space ten yards from goal. He tried to strike it first time but hit it into the ground and Kieran Wright was on hand to turn it over the bar.

Rhys Breen had a headed opportunity in the dying embers of the game but he directed his attempt straight at Aidan McAdams and the game went to penalties.

Morton stepped up first with Kyle Jacobs dispatching confidently into the top left corner of the goal before Stuart Bannigan levelled things for the Jags. Substitute James Wallace was up next for the ‘Ton and the number 24 saw his kick saved by Kieran Wright.

Richard Foster was tasked with giving his side the lead and the defender did so powerfully from 12 yards. Sean McGinty then restored parity with a well taken effort before Joe Cardle restored Thistle’s advantage.

Kieran Wright produced another stop, this time from Rabin Omar’s spot kick, to put the Maryhill men a penalty away from victory and James Penrice subsequently found the bottom corner to secure the bonus point for Ian McCall’s side.

Thistle finished the group in third place on seven points sadly missing out on progression from the group stage. Next up for the Jags is a home clash with East Fife in League One next Saturday at 15:00.

< Back