Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle v Greenock Morton – 1st October 2022

A busy October got underway with the visit of Greenock Morton to Firhill. The Jags looked to get back to winning ways after dropping points to Cove Rangers in their previous league game. The Ton came into the match on a high after dispatching Ayr United from the SPFL Trust Trophy with a penalty shoot out win at Cappielow.

Manager Ian McCall rang the changes from the previous week’s defeat to Falkirk with many regulars returning to the starting eleven. Cammy Smith made his 50th Thistle appearance with Scott Tiffoney only deemed fit enough for the bench having returned to full training late in the week. The Morton team featured former Jags Robbie Crawford and Robbie Muirhead in their starting line up with Jack Baird and Jai Quitongo serving bans.

After heavy rainfall during the warm-up, Thistle got the game underway with Morton choosing to take advantage of the late afternoon sun by attacking the John Lambie Stand during the first 45.

Thistle went straight on the attack as Harry Milne’s cross was flicked goalwards by Brian Graham before visiting goalkeeper Schwake fell on the ball.

Thistle’s first corner was cleverly worked with Lawless receiving the ball short before crossing for Brian Graham to head against the face of the bar with a deflection from a Morton player. The follow up corner was headed inches wide by Kevin Holt.

Morton took the lead through a free kick from Robbie Muirhead. Positioned centrally from 35 yards, the Morton number nine fizzed an effort beyond the helpless David Mitchell.

Just before the half hour mark, Thistle dragged themselves level on the match. Lawless found McMillan on the overlap and his pinpoint cross was nodded home by Brian Graham – his sixth of the season.

Ten minutes later, Thistle had the lead. A poorly dealt with ball into the Thistle box led to a Thistle corner which was floated towards the back post. Kevin Holt, who had been down injured moments prior, rose to meet it and powered a header into the back of the net from a tight angle despite the best efforts of the defender on the line.

Thistle were buoyed by the two goals and the Maryhill men were moving the ball about with a bit more style than they had been in the tense opening stages. Stuart Bannigan’s cross was met at the back post by Brian Graham but his header was diverted away from goal by a Morton boot.

Morton stuck to their plan to frustrate Thistle and put the home side under significant pressure from long balls into the box. With a different bounce of the ball, Thistle might have been in trouble but good resilient defending and goalkeeping kept Morton at bay.

Thistle grabbed a two-goal lead through a well worked set piece. Kyle Turner spotted Kevin Holt in the box and floated a terrific free kick in his direction. Holt’s header found his central defensive partner Aaron Muirhead who steered the ball into the net and wheeled away in jubilant celebration in front of the John Lambie Stand.

Thistle had a further opportunity to extend the lead on the hour mark when Willie Collum pointed for a penalty. A clever run from Ross Docherty saw him brought down inside the area and Kevin Holt stepped up. The normally reliable defender’s spot kick smashed the face of the bar and ricocheted away to safety.

Scott Tiffoney had an effort tipped over the bar as Thistle probed for a fourth but good attacking Thistle play was met by a well-marshalled Morton defence.

TIffoney wasn’t to be denied his goal though and wonderful solo play on the left-hand side saw Thistle’s number seven wriggle past a number of challenges before lifting it past the goalkeeper.

Ian McCall used the opportunity to bring on some fresh legs with Danny Mullen and Anton Dowds entering the pitch. It was the latter that put the gloss on the scoreline as he bundled home from inside the six-yard box. Kyle Turner tested the goalkeeper with a low shot that was spilled and Dowds made no mistake from close range to force the ball home.

With that convincing triumph Thistle move a point clear at the top of the cinch Championship table with a trip to Inverness next on the schedule. The Jags head to the Caledonian Stadium this coming Friday, 7th October for a 7:45pm kick-off.

< Back