Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle v Ross County – 21st February 2015

With Ross County’s resurgence coinciding with a bad run of form for Thistle, this game took on an entirely different significance. County’s confidence was understandably high while Thistle were desperate to stop the rot.

Manager, Alan Archibald, made three changes to the starting line up from the 1-0 defeat to Dundee, Paul Gallacher replacing the injured Scott Fox as he had done at half time at Dens Park, Dan Seaborne returned in place of Conrad Balatoni and Ryan Stevenson replaced Stuart Bannigan.

Thistle started the game brightly with Stevenson picking out the run of O’Donnell early in the first half. The right back drove forward but, as he got into the box, his attempted back heel did not find its intended target. An O’Donnell long throw caused more problems for the visitors’ defence and Stevenson was unlucky to see the ball cannon off him from a tight angle at the front post.

The first blow was landed by the Highlanders though as, in the 11th minute, they took the lead thanks to some calamitous defending. Twice Thistle failed to clear their lines properly and when the cross came in Frans’ clearance cannoned off Dan Seaborne and fell straight to Curran who slotted home from less than two yards out. Thistle’s appeals for a hand ball in the run up were waved away by the referee.

The goal seemed to knock Thistle’s fragile confidence for a while, although great play from Taylor saw him control the ball and fire a pass with the outside of his foot to Elliott whose cross was met by Stevenson but blocked by the County keeper.

A Martin Woods corner was then poorly dealt with by the home defence and Quinn volleyed wide from eight yards when he should have put the visitors further ahead. More worryingly for the home side was the amount of time the attacking midfielder had, unchallenged, in the thistle box.

The Jags were creating chances though and O’Donnell, who had looked impressive in spells, found Stevenson with a well-timed pass. Stevo in turn linked up well with Taylor and his shot fizzed just wide of the target when perhaps he should have at least warmed the keeper’s gloves.

Frans then nearly made something from a poor Fraser corner when he headed goalwards but over the bar. Elliott then swung a cross to the back post which O’Donnell headed from the back post for Stevenson, his header beating Brown but cannoning back off the post and before being cleared. An O’Donnell pass then sent Taylor down the right hand side and his brilliant cross was met by the head of Elliott but his effort was saved to leave County leading by the only goal of the game as the ref brought the first half to an end.

Doolan replaced McDaid at half time as Thistle looked to get back in the game but it was County who fired the first shot when Woods effort drifted harmlesly wide. At the other end a Booth cross was flicked goalwards by the head of Doolan but went wide.

In the 53rd minute County were awarded a penalty, Frans and Seaborne failed to deal with a long ball which broke off Seaborne to Boyce who got into the box before being brought down by the Jags captain. Curran stepped up but his weak effort was comfortably saved by Gallacher to keep Thistle in the game.

Higginbotham and Bannigan came into the fray and the former saw an effort hit the side netting. And then, in the 65th Minute, it was 2-0 to County. Yet again Thistle lost the ball cheaply in midfield and Gardyne’s cross found De Vita who guided the ball past Gallacher.

The penalty save had given Thistle a boost though and three minutes later a Higginbotham corner found Taylor who headed home to make it 2-1 throwing the Jags a lifeline. Despite hauling themselves back into the game the home side failed to take advantage as, in 71mins, Fraser collected the ball wide played a one-two with Boyce and, with nobody tracking his run, Fraser fired home and made it 3-1.

Substitute, Jervis, put a shot just over the bar from 25 yards and Kiss brought a good save from Gallacher as County looked the more likely to add to their tally. The last chance of the game fell to the home side in injury time when O’Donnell flashed a shot from 16 yards across goal but wide of the target.

So, at full time, it finished 3-1 to County who in truth took advantage of some awful defending and all round below par performance from the home side.


Gallacher, O’Donnell, Frans, Seaborne, Booth (Bannigan), Fraser, Osman (Higginbotham), Elliott, McDaid (Doolan), Stevenson, Taylor


Basalaj, Balatoni, Craigen, Bannigan (57), Doolan (46), Lawless, Higginbotham (58)

< Back