Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle WFC v Aberdeen WFC – 5th March 2023

Partick Thistle took a huge step towards a top-six SWPL 1 finish in a thrilling 4-3 come from behind victory over Aberdeen at Petershill Park in their penultimate pre-split fixture.

Thanks to a free to attend scheme, a packed crowd of 221 backed the Jags to victory. The result means Brian Graham’s side only need a positive result in their final fixture before the split to be sure of a top-six spot.

After a back and forth opening spell, it was the Dons who took the lead in the 17th minute as Bayley Hutchison got onto the end of a long ball, beating an offside trap in the process to shoot the ball high into the net past Megan Cunningham. The visitors were nearly caught off guard minutes later when Linzi Taylor blocked keeper Annalisa McCann’s clearance, but the stopper was quickest to pounce on the ball.

On the half hour mark, captain Demi Falconer played an excellent long ball to Abbie Ferguson, who made a brilliant touch inside the box, but it was cleared behind by an Aberdeen defender before she could get a shot away. From the ensuing corner, the Dons defence failed to clear, allowing Falconer this time to have a shot, which McCann did well to turn over.

Thistle continued to press for an equaliser before the break and came close as Jordan McLintock’s shot from the edge of the box rattled the crossbar, with ‘s rebound going narrowly wide.

Thistle started the second half roaring as McCann was forced to punch away Cara Henderson’s free kick, from which Clare Docherty played a ball into the box for Falconer, who could only drag her shot wide.

The visitors, who had been threatening on the break the whole game, doubled their lead in the 52nd minute as Bailley Collins’ pass found Mya Christie in the box, who made no mistake disposing the ball into the net.

However, Thistle were given a huge boost moments later as Aberdeen were reduced to ten as Millie Urquhart brought Ferguson down on the edge of the box as she raced clear and looked certain to score. Linzi Taylor stepped up and scored from the ensuing free kick.

Kim Murphy then made an excellent block to deny Collins from the edge of the box, with the defender requiring treatment on the field before being able to continue.

On 63 minutes, Thistle got their deserved equaliser as Henderson rose highest in the box to meet Murphy’s cross with McCann’s outstretched hand only being able to guide her header into the net.

After 72 minutes Thistle took the lead as substitute Claire Adams swung an inviting corner into the box before it took a touch off an Aberdeen defender and into the net..

Thistle didn’t stop in the search of goals to really put the game out of sight as Taylor’s long range effort was turned away by McCann, who later denied her again at the near post. And they were rewarded as time wound down as sub Imogen Longcake capitalised on an errant back pass, rounding the keeper and passing the ball into the empty net,

There was stil time for some late drama with the Dons grabbing a controversial consolation goal through Francesca Ogilvie to provide a nervy finish.

Thistle can stamp their ticket to the top-six with a victory next Sunday as they next travel to face Dundee United. That game takes place at Gussie Park next Sunday 12th March, with a 4.10pm kick off.

< Back