Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle WFC v Glasgow Women – 22/02/23

With just four games remaining before the league split, Thistle went into this fixture against bottom side Glasgow Women looking to consolidate their top six position. Ultimately they did that with an efficient, if not sparkling, performance against the basement side.

The Thistle win was built upon a good start with The Jags hitting the front after just three minutes.

Linzi Taylor did the spadework down the right, collecting Clare Docherty’s pass and when Burgon wasn’t able to cleanly collect Taylor’s cross Rachel Donaldson was on hand to turn before lifting the ball high into the Glasgow Women net.

Thistle were looking hungry for further goals but there was a timely reminder of the precariousness of a single goal lead when Megan Cunningham had to be alert near her left hand post to save a well struck effort from ex Jag Emma Craig.

Still the bulk of the play was firmly in the direction of the Glasgow Women goal. Rebecca McGowan saw her shot after collecting a pass from Abbie Ferguson slide just wide of the post and Taylor sent a shot over the bar after a McGowan shot had been blocked into her path.

The all-important second Thistle goal arrived after 23 minutes and was another goal of the season candidate from Rachel Donaldson. She robbed King of the ball before unleashing a shot from outside the box that left Burgon with no chance.

There were no further Thistle goals before the break, but there were no lack of opportunities. McGowan was only denied a goal by a superb save from Burgon and Cara Henderson wasn’t too far off target with a header from a Donaldson right wing cross.

Just as they started the first half with a quick goal, so Thistle started the second in similar fashion. There were just ten second half minutes on the clock when Donaldson collected Cheryl McCulloch’s superb long pass, outpaced the full back before drilling the ball into the back of the net to complete a hat-trick and remove any doubt over the destination of the points.

Henderson flashed a drive wide of target as Thistle looked to add to their tally and a fourth goal duly arrived after 63 minutes. Ferguson was rewarded for her desire to press Burgon in the visitors’ goal when she collected Henderson’s pass following Burgon’s clearance and deftly lifted the ball over the keeper and into the net.

With the win secured, manager Brian Graham took the opportunity to make use of his substitute bench and it was two of his subs that were late on able to extend the Thistle advantage even further.

There was just a minute of the 90 remaining when Taylor and Leah Robinson worked a quick, short corner and when Burgon wasn’t able to collect Robinson’s cross, Taylor Fisher was on hand to nod the ball home for her second goal of the season.

It was Imogen Longcake’s first goal of the season, and Partick Thistle WFC’s 500th competitive goal, that completed the scoring in injury time. Longcake had already come close with a shot that Burgon saved at her front post but when she collected Amy Bulloch’s inch perfect pass she made no mistake this time.

< Back