Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle WFC v Motherwell – 2/11/212

Conditions were horrendous but the Thistle performance was full of grit and determination as they made it four league games unbeaten and climbed to 5th position with a narrow, but ultimately deserved, 1-0 win over Motherwell.

Following the demanding weekend fixture with Hibs, Brian Graham was in the happy position of being able to bring back Linzi Taylor and Cara Henderson, both absentees from the trip through to the capital, into the starting eleven, with Jordan McLintock, also missing that Hibs trip, making the bench and there was also a slot at left back for Kim Murphy.

The weather was always going to be in a factor in this game and after winning the toss it was Motherwell that elected to play with the advantage of the wind and often driving rain in the game’s opening 45 minutes.

In such conditions having a goalkeeper who demonstrates calmness and confidence is always an asset and Thistle with Megan Cunningham are highly fortunate in that respect. Although not having too many direct shots she dealt with ease all that the combination of Motherwell and the elements could throw at her. Those playing directly in front of her making significant contributions too in trying conditions.

When Cunningham was called into direct action she was not found wanting and her save in the 2nd minute when she pushed away a shot from Ronald as Motherwell looked to take early advantage of the benefit that the overhead conditions were giving them was crucial in allowing Thistle to settle into the game.

A McDonald-Nguah cross from the left hand side went right across the face of the Thistle goal without a touch as the visitors continued looked to establish an early lead.

It was anything but one way traffic despite the conditions. Building from the back and using the full width of the pitch on both flanks, Thistle had Motherwell on the back foot and Taylor was unlucky not to get a firmer touch with a header from a Henderson cross.

The best chance yet of the game came Thistle’s way after 23 minutes. The tireless and hardworking Abbie Ferguson was quick to pounce on a Motherwell error and her pace took her clear of Watson and then Motherwell keeper, Mutch but with a goal beckoning she perhaps took a touch too many and sent the ball wide of target.

The half finished with Demi Falconer making a timely interception to clear a dangerous cross from Hay who had been causing Thistle problems down the left hand side.

It was Thistle’s turn to have the advantage of the wind and rain after the interval and the deadlock was close to being broken just two minutes after the restart with Taylor seeing her shot from the right hand side of the Motherwell box hit the side netting.

A Thistle goal though was only delayed for a few minutes.

There were 54 minutes on the clock when Donaldson picked up a pass from Claire Adams wide on the left. Donaldson cut inside into the box and from the left hand side of the Motherwell penalty area curled a beauty of a right foot shot past Mutch and into the net.

There was nearly a second goal for Thistle 7 minutes later when Rice nearly diverted a Taylor cut back into her own net.

A one goal lead is always a precarious one but Thistle defended fantastically well as unit, as a record of just one goal conceded in the last four league games is evidence of, and restricted Motherwell to next to no opportunities near the Thistle goal.

Thistle could have extended their lead with 13 minutes remaining when substitute Kaitlyn Canavan was momentarily able to get clear of the Motherwell defence. Watson though was able to get back quickly and although Canavan was still able to get a shot away, Watson’s presence was enough to prevent Canavan from getting sufficient power in her shot to beat Mutch.

Thistle though would successfully negotiate the inevitable tense closing minutes that a one goal lead provides to collect a hugely important three points and complete a successful few day’s work.

< Back