Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle WFC v Spartans WFC – 13/9/23

Days on from their victory against Motherwell, Partick Thistle aimed to continue their positive form as they took on Spartans in a rainy evening under the Petershill lights. The Jags’ looked to progress on their 12 points tally against a team of who they went unbeaten against last season, with Debbi McCulloch’s side looking to move up the SWPL 1 table.

Brian Graham’s starting team saw few changes from Sunday. Easdon started in between the goalposts, joined by Megan Robb who entered the starting eleven after her match winning shot against Motherwell and Linzi Taylor was rested following successive 90-minute appearances in recent fixtures.

Immediately from kick-off, Thistle looked to be in the dominant attack, as Sinclair got the ball through into an enticing area before being crowded out by the Spartans’ defence. However, the visitors were quick to announce a response as they forced play into the attacking third, bringing the first foul of the nights proceedings which was quickly picked up by Easdon after the initial ariel threat.

Following a spell of possession in the 15th minute, a promising round of build-up play from the back saw the ball reach Megan Robb who, from her position out with the box, slotted a precise through ball pass to Cara Henderson who had reached beyond the remaining Spartans’ defence and found herself within short range of Alicia Yates. The minimal distance mixed with the awkward bounce of the ball proved the catalyst in this attack as the Spartans number 1 collected the ball confidently.

Half an hour in and a Thistle attack showcased why they have had collated a positive points tally early on into this SWPL1 campaign. Rosie Slater received the ball from the back before relieving the passing duties to Robb who with a sequence of impressive one touch football, got the ball to Lucy Sinclair whose run towards the box earned Thistle a free kick outside of the ‘D’. Carried out by Cara Henderson, the free kick was high and looping, leaving the Spartans’ keeper no other option than to tip it above the crossbar.

Despite the encouraging attacking signs displayed by Thistle, it was the visitors who claimed the opening goal. With 40 minutes signalled, Spartans’ won the throw-in in the attacking third, from which they managed to work beyond the Thistle defence and into an open area, allowing for the shot to be taken by Hannah Jordan which rolled beyond the reach of Easdon and into the bottom corner.

It was Thistle who would have to produce that bit extra to reduce the game back level as the referee’s whistle signalled both teams back to the dressing rooms. Play was in a majority even, with Thistle’s losing goal coming at an unfortunate period in which the Jags’ had looked to have come into their own, both with a strong defence and prominent attacking threat, which promised an exciting second half for both sets of fans.

With such commencing, it was the leaders who found the first shot at goal, coming from a press before the shot that ultimately unphased Easdon. Maintaining that same end-to-end nature seen in the first half, Thistle immediately broke away and won the free kick. Taken by Demi Falconer, its airborne nature allowed for Spartans’ to clear the danger before Slater dispossessed play to regain the attack which fell out of the Petershill pitch’s perimeter.

Following the host of changes made by both sides with Donaldson, McQuillan, McGowan, Munro and Longcake replacing Hay, Henderson, Adams, Bulloch and Robb for the Jags’, Thistle ensured to make the lead an uncomfortable one as joined with their threat to goal they had kept the player marking sharp, continually lessening the period their opponents had in the attacking half.

It was the home side who continued to press the goal in the games ending moments as Longcake made a promising run into the box to win Thistle the corner in the 93rd minute. The resulting cross was low and deflected by the first Spartans jersey, in which signalled the last instance of play in the match.

The result arguably was a frustrating one for Thistle, who didn’t lack in their attempts at goal but couldn’t find the breakthrough. Despite the ending scoreline the efforts on the pitch were commendable, the cohesive work in defence allowed for the ball to spend the majority of its time in Thistle’s attacking favour, left only without the final touch which ultimately deprived them of any points at Petershill.

The Jags’ will look to put this result behind them as they continue their SWPL1 campaign on Sunday with an away fixture at Oriam to take on Hearts at 3pm.

< Back