Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Raith Rovers v Partick Thistle – 29th September 2012

Thistle this afternoon lost their 100% record but maintained their unbeaten start to the league season and the position at the top of the league but it took an injury time strike from Kris Doolan to earn a point in a 1-1 draw.
Stark’s Park is venue that Thistle haven’t enjoyed too much success at in recent years and with the game deep into injury time another Stark’s Park defeat looked on the cards. The home side were leading by Greg Spence’s 65th minute goal when in 93rd minute Kris Doolan was able to connect with an Aaron Muirhead cross and his header rescued a point for Thistle.
It would have been harsh on Thistle though had they not claimed at least a point from this fixture They did though have Scott Fox to thank for making two excellent saves to keep the score at just 1-0 as time started to run out on The Jags.
Thistle dominated the first half in terms of possession but were unable to make the breakthrough and score the first goal that so often proves to be vital in a First Division fixture.
Aaron Sinclair was given an excellent opportunity to give Thistle the lead inside the opening ten minutes. Paul Paton’s free kick from the left picked out Sinclair who had time and space. His header was on target but it was a weak one and McGurn was able to save.
That was the closest that Thistle came to a goal, although Christie Elliott saw a stabbed effort from a Lawless pass saved by the Rovers keeper,  in the first half and it was the home side, despite Thistle’s dominance, that had the clearer chances in front of goal.
In the 22nd minute Scott Fox was stretched to keep out a fierce shot from Grant Anderson and Fox again did well to save at his near post in the 37th minute with Thistle happy to clear the ball for a corner after it spun into the air close to the goal line.
Careless play too from Aaron Sinclair, when he failed to clear his lines inside the Thistle box, gave Rovers an opportunity that they couldn’t take despite looking likely to do just that.
Thistle started the second half in positive fashion and Stuart Bannigan was close to giving Thistle the lead just seconds after the restart but McGurn was able to tip Bannigan’s shot over the bar.
Minutes later Bannigan had an even better chance to score, but could only shoot over the bar after Chris Erskine and Steven Lawless had combined to set him up at the back post.
In the 58th minute Stephen O’Donnell was insistent that he had been fouled at the corner of the Rovers penalty box as he attempted to latch onto a Lawless pass but referee Clancy, who incurred the wrath of both sets of supporters, wasn’t interested.
Eight minutes later the home side were in front. In the first half Aaron Sinclair had got away with giving away possession of the ball inside his own penalty box. This time he was punished to the full when he did likewise at the edge of his box. Greg Spence was the player to profit and his shot beat Scott Fox.
A first time volley from Kris Doolan wasn’t too far wide of target as Thistle tried to find a quick response but the longer the game went on the more it looked as if this wouldn’t be Thistle’s day.
Indeed Rovers were close on a couple of occasions to extending their lead and seal the victory. There were just 13 minutes left when Scott Fox produced a fine stop to keep out a Spence header with Graham sending the loose ball over the bar.
Two minutes later Fox was again in action, this time keeping out an effort from Smith.
Despite those near things Rovers looked set to claim all three points until Kris Doolan’s welcome strike with the game deep into injury time.

< Back