Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC

Cerny: A lot of positives to take

It was a disappointed team bus which returned from Pittodrie on Saturday evening after a game where Thistle put a lot into the match, but ended up with no points. caught up with Jags goalkeeper Tomas Cerny who was keen to focus on the positives of the game.

“I think there were a lot of positives in terms of how we kept the ball at times and we were always dangerous throughout the game. Even when we were two goals down and down to ten men we still had chances to take at least a point. We’re disappointed at the end because we were so close to scoring an equaliser but we didn’t get it.

“We’re going to take the positives which were the way we played for a long spell in the game. I thought we defended well at times. Aberdeen had a few spells and they put us under pressure, which is to be expected, but I think we dealt with it well overall.”

The Jags number one felt the first half was a well matched contest and believed Thistle would get something from the clash.

“I think the first half was even. They had their chances, we had our chances. We felt we were still in the game at half time. I was disappointed that we conceded a second goal but I think that we reacted quite well to it and managed to create enough to get a point. We gave Aberdeen a scare and they were hanging on to the result at the end of the game.”

In the dying embers of the match, Tomas made a long dash to the opposition penalty area to try and help the side get level.

“I was disappointed I wasn’t able to get a touch on the cross, but the corner was very close. The ball ended up being put inches past the post. It could have gone anywhere, and would have given us an equaliser in the 94th minute. It was disappointing. We need to learn from the mistakes that we made and take the positives out of the game going forward.”

The Czech goalkeeper has had a tough time with injuries recently and feels good now he is back to full fitness.

“It hasn’t been an easy time. I worked hard for three months to get back to full fitness, only to get another injury against Inverness. It’s tough to be out, get yourself fit again, and then go back out with injury. Today I felt fine and there were no problems, so hopefully I can now go on a lengthy run of games for the club.”

< Back