Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle v Wigan Athletic – 21st July 2015

Wigan Athletic were the first visitors to Firhill this season and it was a chance for the home fans to see the debuts of new signings Tomas Cerny, David Amoo and Gary Miller as well as Callum Booth who signed a permanent deal at the end of last season.

There was a well known face in the opposition as ex-Caley striker, Billy McKay, lined up for the visitors.

Thistle had the better of possession in a scrappy opening with Lawless and Doolan both looking lively and linking up well. Doolan couldn’t quite direct a header on target from an Amoo cross and then Sean Welsh came within inches of opening the scoring. Having collected the ball in midfield his 25 yard shot beat Nicholls but agonisingly crashed back off the base of the post.

There was a scare for the Jags at the other end when Flores and McKay worked the ball well between them but Elliott did well to make a timely tackle. Frans was then caught out by Lundstram who squared to McKay eight yards out. Thankfully for Thistle he somehow screwed his effort wide of the target when it looked easier to score. Robles then side footed an effort just wide before a lovely move, again involving the impressive Welsh, saw Lawless fire just wide.

The teams went in with the score still 0-0 at half time but it would not remain that way for long.

Thistle were quick out of the traps in the second half and, after 52 seconds, took the lead. Elliott’s throw in came back to him, he drove forward before finding Lawless who took a touch and fired low past Nicholls into the bottom corner to make it 1-0. However, within four minutes, the visitors levelled when Jennings was allowed to go forward with no challenge from a home player and buried his 18 yard effort past Cerny.

Thistle weren’t done yet though and Lawless set up Bannigan at the edge of the box but the Jags midfielder’s blistering effort was superbly saved by Nicholls. Despite a raft of substitutions from both sides, the game remained entertaining with some neat football.

Cerny produced a marvellous save from Power’s 20 yard free kick and then Grigg got behind the home defence to go one-on-one with Cerny, only for the home keeper to save well low to his right.

Fraser then saw a typically strong effort go over the bar before substitute Kevin Nisbet was forced wide in the box after good work by Stevenson. Kevin was unlucky not to get his shot away before the tackle came in.

The referee’s whistle signalling the end of an entertaining 1-1 draw.

< Back