Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Partick Thistle vs Rotherham United – 25th July 2015

Thistle concluded their pre-season preparations with a 1-1 draw against English Championship side Rotherham United.

Alan Archibald made four changes to the side which drew against Wigan Athletic with Miller, Lindsay, Stevenson and Fraser coming moving into a starting slot having been on the bench on Tuesday.

Thistle made a quiet start to the game with Rotherham keeping the ball well in the opening stages, but gradually Thistle came into the game with Amoo’s pace being strongly utilised by excellent passes from Sean Welsh.

Rotherham had a couple of half chances when they pounced on a poor clearance from Cerny but the goalkeeper made a confident stop from an offside, Clarke-Harris. The big striker was creating a number of problems for the Thistle defence and he headed wide from a Ledesma cross.

Thistle went a goal behind just after 30 minutes when Derbyshire headed home from the edge of the box. Cerny came dashing off the line when he would probably have been better remaining on his line, and didn’t quite get there before the striker nodded into the unguarded net.

Thistle were lucky not to be two down when Cerny had to look smart to gather a ball from the feet of Clarke-Harris. On the stroke of half time Green evaded a few Thistle challenges and fired inches wide with Cerny appearing to be beaten.

Thistle started the second half sharply and were almost instantly level when Amoo found Stevenson unmarked inside the box. The attackers header was too close to Collin and the goalkeeper parried the ball away.

The equalising goal was delayed by only three minutes before Sean Welsh fired the side level. Gary Fraser pressured the Rotherham defender and Thistle won the ball high up the pitch. The ball was passed to Welsh who took a touch to control before firing the ball past the goalkeeper from 35 yards.

Both sides had chances to nick it but there were no further goals as Thistle continue a proud unbeaten record in home friendlies which extends all the way back to July 2010.

< Back