Partick Thistle FC logo
Partick Thistle FC
Partick Thistle FC
Match Report

Glasgow City v Partick Thistle – 30th September 2021

Matchday three of the SWPL 1 season brought the toughest challenge yet for Partick Thistle Women’s FC as they faced defending top flight champions Glasgow City at Petershill Park.

Thistle hadn’t played in 11 days since their dramatic 3-2 win over Motherwell while Glasgow City came into the game off the back of a 3-1 triumph over Hamilton a week prior.

Brian Graham made three changes to the side that beat the ‘Well with Rosie Slater, Clare Docherty and Amy Bulloch coming into the starting line-up while Cara McBrearty, Cheryl Rigden and Jade Greenshields dropped out.

It was a dream start to the game for the Jags as they went in front after just nine minutes. Demi Falconer launched a deep free-kick into the box from just inside the City half and the ball ricocheted into the path of London Pollard. The Celtic loanee took a second to assess the situation before confidently lifting the ball past Lee Alexander into the net for her first Thistle goal.

City quickly took control of the game as they began pushing for an equaliser and one of their best chances of the first half came after 20 minutes. The hosts broke into the Jags’ box on the left-hand side through Lauren Davidson and she fizzed a low ball across the six-yard box. It made its may to Tyler Dodds at the far post and the number 24 tried to guide the ball home from relatively close range, however, Cheryl McCulloch was on hand to make a goal-saving block and turn it away for a corner.

Grant Scott’s side did eventually get their leveller in the 31st minute as Lauren Davidson caused Thistle more problems on the left flank. This time she was able to find space for a cut-back towards the edge of the box which picked out Cailin Michie who was able to pick out the bottom corner of Lauren McGregor’s goal from 20 yards out with the help of a deflection.

Coming out for the second half, Glasgow City kept up the pressure as they aimed for a go-ahead goal and Lauren McGregor had plenty of work to do. Her first action after the break came as the ball fell to Clare Shine in the Jags’ box. The City number 10 tried to volley home from 8 yards out with her right foot but saw her effort saved and held by the Thistle ‘stopper.

There was a sight of goal for the visiting Jags around about the hour mark as London Pollard went close to doubling her tally for the evening and the season. She intercepted a slack Glasgow City pass in the centre circle and charged towards goal. She used blistering pace to move away from her marker and tried a powerful shot from a difficult angle which flew just a couple of yards wide of goal.

Unfortunately for Brian Graham’s side, City were able to find the goal that put them ahead just a few minutes after Pollard’s chance. Tyler Dodds was fed the ball on the right wing by Mairead Fulton and Dodds proceeded to pick out Cailin Michie with a well-weighted cut-back. The number two was able to stroke the ball home in-stride with a low effort to put the defending champions ahead.

City were close to a third with 70 minutes on the clock as Lauren Davidson cut in from the right-hand side. Despite being tightly marked by Demi Falconer she was able to dig out a shot which looked destined for the top corner, however, Lauren McGregor was across quickly to make an impressive grab.

The home side would get their third goal though and it came through a penalty kick. It was Rebecca McGowan who gave away the spot kick as the referee judged that she had pulled Mairead Fulton to the ground as the pair jostled for position in the Thistle box.

Priscila Chincilla stepped up for the hosts and confidently dispatched from 12 yards, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way to make it 3-1.

There was one final chance in the game as Mairead Fulton took aim from 20 yards. The midfielder’s shot took a considerable deflection which sent the ball looping towards the top corner of the Thistle goal. Lauren McGregor, who had been in good form all evening, was able to get across to tip the ball onto the post before Demi Falconer cleared the danger.

There’s little time to relax for the Jags now as they head to the Penny Cars Stadium this Sunday to take on Celtic in more SWPL 1 action. Kick-off is 2pm.

< Back